This Year’s Top 5 Christmas Cookie List | Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookie Recipe | Martha Stewart’s “Cookies”
Bet you’re dying to know what
This Year’s Top 5 Christmas Cookie List is.
These cookies are what made the cut so far…
Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookie
Sugar Cookie – Frosted
Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
but, things can change…
Christmas is still a few weeks away.
Plenty of time to bake MORE cookies and make another Top 5 Christmas Cookie List.
We started off with making 2 of Martha Stewart’s recipes from her book, Martha Stewart’s Cookies.
The first cookie we made (and our current Favorite) was the Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookie Recipe, (recipe below). This year we made a double batch. We made these last year and they were such a hit at the Christmas cooking party – we were eating them as quickly as they came out of the oven! We also used Martha’s Sugar Cookie Recipe.
We recommend that you make the dough for the Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookie Recipe the day before you plan on baking them, as it is a recipe with many stages – a labor of love.
Chewy Chocolate-Gingerbread Cookies
• Yield: Makes 2 dozen
• 7 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate
• 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
• 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1 tablespoon unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
• 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
• 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
• 1/2 cup dark-brown sugar, packed
• 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1. Line two baking sheets with parchment. Chop chocolate into 1/4-inch chunks; set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and grated ginger until whitened, about 4 minutes. Add brown sugar; beat until combined. Add molasses; beat until combined.
3. In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in 1 1/2 teaspoons boiling water. Beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture. Beat in baking-soda mixture, then remaining half of flour mixture. Mix in chocolate; turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Pat dough out to about 1 inch thick; seal with wrap; refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or more.
4. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Roll dough into 1 1/2- inch balls; place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Roll in granulated sugar. Bake until the surfaces crack slightly, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
These cookies are SOOO GOOOD…….
You have to try one right out of the oven.
Martha Stewart’s Cookies
Some of our very favorite recipes.
Stay tuned for more pictures and recipes from our Annual Christmas Cookie Baking Party.
What are your favorite cookies for the Holidays?
“Use flour on utensils to keep dough from sticking: Dip the cookie cutters, and dust the spatula before transferring uncooked dough to a sheet. Rolling dough between two sheets of floured parchment will keep it from sticking to the rolling pin.”
~ the 3 Sister Chefs ~
We also recommend these articles:
What’s on This Year’s Top 5 Christmas Cookie List for you?